Population: 2,328 million
photo by scarletgreen
Miyagi Prefecture is centrally situated in Tohoku district on the coast of the Pacific Ocean. Matsuhima Island, one of Japan’s three best landscapes is located in Miyagi. on the west side stands a range of mountains such as Mt.Zao, Mt.Funagata and Mt.Kurikoma.
Sendai it sit capital city.
- SENDAI CITY
- Sendai is the largest city in Tohoku and home to over a million people. The city plays a key role as the central city of business and commerce in the Tohoku region.
Despite its size, the city is also known as a modern city that is in harmony with the nature. Hirose river runs through the center and the lush Zelkova trees line its streets and parks. Due to this abundant greenery, Sendai is also know as the City of Trees.
It is home to various historical sites related to the Date family, such as ruins of the former Sendai Castle , also known as Aoba castle. The ruins are located close to downtown on Aobayama, which also gives a panoramic view of the city. They are often recommended by the locals.
Sendai offers various touristic attractions and excellent shopping and dining.
Sendai was the closest major city to the epicenter of the earthquake of March 11, 2011. The tsunami devastated the city's coastal outskirts but did not cause major damage in the city center. All tourist spots reopened within a few months of the earthquake.
- WHAT TO DO AND WHAT TO SEE
- There are many tourist attractions such as the Abukuma River in the south and many hot springs located at the foot of the mountains, which are the central attraction for the tourists coming to Tohoku district.
Other attractions are
You can experience the deliciously fresh seafood in Kesenuma city, enjoy the hot springs of Akiu or Sakunami towns or play with the cats at Tashiro Island, also know as the the Cats Island, where all the residents are taking care of cats.
- GETTING THERE
- By airplane
Sendai’s airport serves domestic and some international flights.
The Tohoku Shinkansen ( bullet train) connects Tokyo to Sendai.
- CLIMATE/ TEMPERATURE
- Sendai has a moderate, humid subtropical , climate.
Summers are very warm with an August average of 24.1 °C. Winters are cool and relatively dry, with January temperatures averaging 1.5 °C .
Sendai's rainy season usually begins in late June to early July, which is later than in most cities in Japan.
Extreme temperatures range from −11.7 to +36.8 °C .
- WHAT TO WEAR
- During summer, you should be fine if you wear a short-sleeved shirt, t-shirt or a dress, however a long sleeved shirt is highly recommended if you choose to go near water or to the mountains.
In the winter, be sure to bring warm clothes such as winter coat or jacket, hat, scarf and gloves.
For the spring and autumn a light jacket should keep you warm.
- Latest news
Culture Apr 20, 2016
Touch screen menus
Tourism Apr 13, 2016
Shibuya – the world’s busiest crossing.
Food Apr 5, 2016
Onigiri – a delicious Japanese snack
Tourism Apr 4, 2016
Japanese Traditional Ritsurin Garden
Culture Mar 19, 2016مدرب منتخب اليابان لكرة القدم للسيدات: السنوات التي قضيتها مع بطلات العالم كنز لي
Culture Feb 29, 2016
Let’s choose the most beautiful doll for Hinamatsuri