Population: 3,723 million
photo by ajari
Shizuoka prefecture is in the central Chubu region of the main Japanese island Honshu. It is a land of highs and lows with a mix of all kinds of scenic spots and its most famous product is its tea.
Its famous mountains are Mt. Fuji, Mt. Hakone, Mt. Amagi and Mt. Akaishi.
- SHIZUOKA CITY
- The city is situated halfway between Tokyo and Nagoya.
Shizuoka City offers a wide variety of sightseeing opportunities. Its hilly landscape makes up for a beautiful scenery, giving the traveler an ideal place for a final destination.
Shizuoka City is known for its famous historical remains.
One of the biggest attractions is without doubt the spectacular view of Mt.Fuji, very much a symbol of Japan. The city has numerous spots from where you can get a superb view of the mountain.
- WHAT TO DO AND WHAT TO SEE
- Mt.Fuji, the prefecture’s main attraction, is the country’s highest peak at 3,775 meters. It is open to climbers during the summer season and viewing the sunrise from the summit is a dream for many. It take about 5 to 7 hours to ascend and 3 to 5 hours to descend. The trails are lined by more than dozen mountain huts and some of them offer overnight stay and meals.
Be sure to check all the instructions and required climbing equipment before deciding to go on your adventure.
Shizuoka also boasts spectacular coastlines and clean rivers and lakes and it is home to many hot spring resorts.
You can relax in the Japanese way by visiting a hot spring resort, combining enjoyment of the nature with relaxation and health benefits. The majority offer spectacular views of Mt.Fuji.
If you’re looking for theme parks and outlets, Shizuoka has them all. For thrill-seekers, the Fuji Safari Park, Grinpa Amusement Park and Mt.Fuji Children’s World are not to be missed. For shoppers, a visit to the Gotemba Premium Outlets (200 outlets of international brands) will do.
- GETTING THERE
- By plane
Chubu International Airport outside of Nagoya is the nearest major international airport with flights from a variety of locations in Europe, North America, Asia, and Australia. There is a direct shuttle bus from the airport that runs to Hamamatsu and Iwata.
Mt. Fuji Shizuoka Airport. Flights from Kumamoto and Kagoshima by Fuji Dream Airlines; from Sapporo-Chitose and Fukuoka by JAL; from Naha, Okinawa by ANA; and from Seoul, South Korea by Asiana Airlines.
Shizuoka is primarily served by the JR Tokaido Main Line and the Tokaido Shinkansen between Nagoya and Yokohama.
- CLIMATE/ TEMPERATURE
- Shizuoka is known to be blessed with a mild and comfortable climate. Excluding the northern mountain area, Shizuoka Prefecture has a warm oceanic climate with an average yearly temperature of 16.1°C. There’s a clear distinction of four seasons but it is mostly dry and snow rarely falls on the level ground.
- WHAT TO WEAR
- During summer, you should be fine if you wear a short-sleeved shirt, t-shirt or a dress, however a long sleeved shirt is highly recommended if you choose to go near water or to the mountains.
In the winter, be sure to bring warm clothes such as winter coat or jacket, hat, scarf and gloves.
For the spring and autumn a light jacket or a sweater should keep you warm.
- Latest news
Culture Apr 20, 2016
Touch screen menus
Tourism Apr 13, 2016
Shibuya – the world’s busiest crossing.
Food Apr 5, 2016
Onigiri – a delicious Japanese snack
Tourism Apr 4, 2016
Japanese Traditional Ritsurin Garden
Culture Mar 19, 2016مدرب منتخب اليابان لكرة القدم للسيدات: السنوات التي قضيتها مع بطلات العالم كنز لي
Culture Feb 29, 2016
Let’s choose the most beautiful doll for Hinamatsuri